Monday, June 1, 2009

The First of Many (hopefully)

Looking back on my childhood I would have to say some of my most favorite memories were the mini-family vacations. You know the ones....the kind where you hop in the car for a weekend trip to somewhere different, seeing the sites and hating the car ride. Since officially becoming a family in late 2007 we have really slacked on the mini-vacation department and this is largely impart to my bad attitude. You see I grew up in Salt Lake and miss the scenery, that is Utah (and surrounding areas), terribly. I mean come on, you really can't beat weekend trips to Las Vegas, Jackson Hole, Zion's, Bryce, Yellowstone, Vernal, St. George, etc, and taking a weekend trip to Dallas (driving equivalent to some of these places) is not exactly my idea of a fun mini-vacation (I probably should not mention that I moved to Houston when I was 10 and still don't feel like I grew up here, nor do I know the area as well as I do Utah...again, my bad attitude). Well, for my children's sake I decided to take one for the team and cheer up about the environment that surrounds me daily (even though it is ugly...whoops, there is that bad attitude again).

Ok, so where to??? Well, in middle school I had a friend whose family always went to Fredricksburg, TX. No clue why I remember that as I have not talked to this friend since the 8th grade, but it stuck in my head so I googled away to see what this city was about. It looked mini-vacationesque; a small, German Town, slightly southwest of Austin in the Hill Country. I like hills, I mean, I really like mountains, but hills will do...SOLD.
and off we went

I would personally like to thank the creators of personal electronics...we are not really an electronic family, but anything goes in the car that makes kids happy as far as I am concerned






Rockbox Theater...and I can't stop talking about the "funtabulous" time we had



Exotic Resort Zoo...the place we met our friend Omar and learned that "buffalo have really long tongue" (thank you Kaylee for this daily (sometimes twice) reminder.







i realized after posting that all these pictures are of me...I don't suppose that could be because we have some chickens in the family??? I'm just sayin...



Pool...I LOVE to swim and I am happy that my children have taken on my love of the pool.









Bottom line = AWESOME FAMILY FIRST MINI-VACATION. Seriously, we had a great time seeing the main attractions as well as walking around, hitting up the candy store, going to the over-priced festival and riding the over-priced rides, and roasting marshmallows for stale smores courtesy of the hotel and outdoor fireplace.

Thanks fam...time for round two!
Fredricksburg, TX - May 22-24, 2009

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww Yall look like yall had soooo much FUN!!! i cant wait for ours!